Fire crews were called out to a blaze at the public toilet facility near Largs seafront car park on Saturday afternoon.

Black smoke could be seen emerging from the local loo, and the alarm was raised shortly before 3pm.

A cistern and cubicle were completely destroyed. There is also smoke damage so the toilets will require a deep clean. Inspector Brian Skimming of Largs Police told the 'News' that there was no indication that foul play was involved.

A Scottish Fire and Rescue spokesman said: “The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service was alerted on Saturday, October 7, to reports of a small fire within public toilets on the promenade, Largs.

“Operations Control immediately mobilised two appliances and firefighters wearing breathing apparatus extinguished the flames using a high powered hose.

“Crews left the scene after ensuring the area was made safe.”

A North Ayrshire Council spokesperson said: “We are assisting the police with their inquiries and hope to have the gents toilets open again early this week. We will work with them to see if there is anything that can be done to prevent this kind of incident happening in the future.

“The ladies and disabled toilets have remained open but, with the main electrical box being located in the gents toilets, they may have to close for a short period of time if we need to switch off power to carry out essential works to the gents toilets.

“We believe the repair works will take approximately a full working day.”