Largs prom is 'worst in Europe'

Published: 6 Feb 2012 10:1613 comments

Largs prom has been branded 'the worst in Europe' - after major doubts were cast over hopes of funding its dramatic improvement.

The 'News' reported how elected North Coast Councillor Alex Gallagher had spoken of his belief that recent severe storm damage to the promenade now represented an opportunity for a "major upgrade", turning it into an attraction to rival popular holiday resorts.

However, at last week's meeting of Largs Community Council, those present cast doubt over Labour member Mr Gallagher's assertions - while some slammed the 'third world' state of the prom long BEFORE any storm damage had taken place. SNP Councillor Alan Hill stated: "I would be gobsmacked if Councillor Gallagher got money for that. It WILL be repaired, but there's damage to the sea walls in Millport and Fairlie, and problems in Ardrossan, and problems in Saltcoats."

FULL STORY IN THIS WEEK'S 'NEWS'

Comments

• ColvinHouston
    Feb 6, 18:23

"Third world state..." - erm, like exactly where?

"Gobsmacked..." ....looks like someone has the linguistic capacity of a sea urchin....

We are not well served by our elected representatives.

Makes me hanker after Ian Murdoch and his straightforward contributions to Largs.

• Jenesuispasanglaise
    Feb 6, 20:39

I agree that some of the phrases in the above report are perhaps a bit OTT, but how long will it be before the claims start hitting the council for people being injured on the prom?

Spend to save as they say.

• Gerry
    Feb 7, 17:23

Who exactly has branded the prom 'worst in Europe'??

Reality check Largs, your prom is one of the most well known and popular promenades in Scotland. It is a regular feature on television programmes, is well used even in the most inclement of weather, the flower beds etc are well maintained and they are a bonus. This is because the prom is considered one of the best.

I'm astounded at where this monsterously over-exaggerated statement has came from. Clearly somebody needs to venture from their ivory tower and realise what the town has and stop moaning. As stated, there are several other parts of the district which require repair and no magic wands.

If Largs' prom is worst in Europe (I still gawp at this quote!) then what does that make Saltcoats prom?!

I can't understand why the council waste much needed money upgrading what is already an immensely popular attraction.

News? Pah!

• C Y Clist
    Feb 7, 18:23

I believe the council should spend money on the prom, Gerry, because it's one of the major attractions of the town. When people come here they spend money with businesses, who in turn pay taxes to the council and the government.

If visitors don't come the Council gets less money, and therefore, there's less to spend on the other areas which, as you point out also require money to be spent on them.

From what you write I wonder if you have been to walk or cycle on the prom since the storms this winter (note the plural) which have left the surface in an appalling condition?

The last time I saw a pavement surface looking anything like that was when I was in Christchurch, New Zealand, last year following two earthquakes. And no, that's not an exaggeration.

I'm sure we all appreciate money's tight and has to be spent wisely, and the damage can't be put right overnight, but after more than a month it's about time someone from NAC told us local taxpayers what they plan to do to fix the prom, our town's greatest tourism asset.

Are we going to get a short-sighted, cheapskate patch-up or the proper resurfacing which it has been needing long before these storms ripped huge chunks out of it?

• Gerry
    Feb 7, 20:03

C Y Clist I agree with your comments however believe the prom (when repaired) offers more than sufficient apsects to keep the tourists and locals happy and keep coming back, which they do! Theres no urgent need to spend over the odds in upgrades just now.

I'm not referring to the prom in it's current carnage of course! I do cycle the prom regularly and look forward to the flat surface again...

• Jacqueline
    Feb 7, 23:03

Gerry, you say " flat surface again" . When exactly was the last time you cycled it because it hasn't been a flat surface for the past 5 or 6 years when I've cycled along it! It's been a grey/black pot holed, badly patched eyesore for the past few years even before the recent storms.

If the prom's resurfacing budget doesn't stretch to a tiled, smart finish ( we should be so lucky ) then I'll gladly pay for a bottle or two of red dye so we don't have the usual drab, depressing stretch of black tar.

• Gerry
    Feb 8, 16:40

Jackie, I cycled the prom last in December. Of course there were a few patches but few enough to easily dodge. Certainly never hear any tourists/local users exclaim "My, this black prom is full of holes and is the worst in Europe, it's colour is depressing me and I shall not be returning to Largs".

Not sure what special treatment some people of this town think Largs is owed in the way of things like above average surfacing etc compared to other towns.

• Jacqueline
    Feb 8, 17:11

Sorry, Gerry, I just don't accept this attitude of " a few patches". Why accept this? Why should you have " dodge" holes? Too often I hear this attitude of " it's not too bad" or " it'll do ". Why accept such low standards in anything?

• Peter
    Feb 9, 06:22

I wish we had a prom in Fairlie. What little we had has now gone.

But I agree with Jacqueline.

After my trips around the world, I have seen some fantastic proms, and Largs IS like those in 3rd world countries. I know, I've been to many of those too. Fremantle in Australia is magnificent, Perros Guirec in Brittany is very well done. It is time NAC pulled their collective fingers out and took charge. Largs brings much needed tourist income to North Ayrshire which benefits those other towns about us. Time to speculate to accumulate and tender out the bids. Maybe ask local and national businesses for sponsorship as well.

Its not just about the surfacing, its about almost derelict toilet blocks which are very much needed. Look at the age group of most visitors and assess what they need. Smooth level pathways and good clean accessable toilets. Its not hard. No need for solar powered signs saying that we have clean beaches for swimming in if only 2 people a year are going to brave the temperatures.

How about some seating in shelters that aren't smashed to pieces and full of urine and graffiti?

Come NAC, do what we pay you for, at least just this once.

• barnie
    Feb 11, 22:54

just fix the prom ya bunch of tight fists in the summer the prom helps to attract tourist and their money in to largs

barnie largs ex pat

• bcbycwwzop
    Jun 11, 22:57

Le6ZEm ogsuqetcuyni, [url=http://wgdixyolvpgw.com/]wgdixyolvpgw[/url], [link=http://bsmpoyckxcxt.com/]bsmpoyckxcxt[/link], http://vnkslwpjmygh.com/

• ztedspyo
    Jun 28, 07:06

vmglqN zprvkfnygnjq, [url=http://fbujijkmbpan.com/]fbujijkmbpan[/url], [link=http://qhtjkdxxlsjs.com/]qhtjkdxxlsjs[/link], http://yahfzqopkcxl.com/

• This comment has been removed by our moderation team because it didn't meet our community guidelines.

• gvanmaxbp
    Aug 30, 09:23

OjSOhY eeffavopzjtq, [url=http://autamlhthmhr.com/]autamlhthmhr[/url], [link=http://jxcsuefgeelk.com/]jxcsuefgeelk[/link], http://sqkihxlibulh.com/