Butcher buys Seaview Cafe

Published: 11 Apr 2012 09:307 comments

The Seaview Cafe in Wemyss Bay has changed hands and has been taken over by neighbours Mearns T McCaskie.

The new bistro will be run by Helen Ovens, wife of Nigel who runs the award winning butchers next door.

Nigel said: "All the staff have been kept and it will be turned into a modern cafe bistro, and will also be open at night, and will be licensed. It will get new toilets, counters and tables and we will use our corporate colours of dark blue and gold."

The cafe had been run over the past 12 years by the Nardini family of Largs including Loretta, Ale, Michele, and Alessia and was a popular stop-off point near the Wemyss Bay ferry terminal, with large historic pictures of the family on display.

Full story in this week's Largs and Millport Weekly

Comments

• fiona
    Apr 11, 14:24

Hope you are still going to be doing filled rolls at breakfast time..............xx

• Fiona Cowan
    Apr 11, 14:45

The Seaview was already a lovely café and I know that it's continuing in very safe hands. When I started at Greenock High School, back in the year dot, my best friend lived in the flat above. The Seaview really was just a 'caff' then - not the swish upmarket place it's been under the Nardinis. I'm delighted to see its future is secure ... along with my Mum's regular meet-ups there with her Rothesay friends.

• mcarolinefm
    Apr 11, 15:00

All the very best with this new business venture. And I am so pleased to see that all the staff are keeping their jobs :) Can't wait to come and dine with you when you open !!

• buddie
    Apr 13, 04:56

Hi

Happy to hear this news I am originally from Skelmorlie, now living in Canada. Whenever we are home on vacation we always go down to the Seaview for breakfast.

Lots of luck

Nancy Murray [nee wallace]

• Dont stop believin
    Apr 13, 09:00

Great news. I hope that if they open into the evenings that they put their best sirloin steak on the menu with handcut chips. I would be a regular for that.

• Boomerang2
    1 post
    Aug 3, 15:52

Hi.

I have been going to the Seaview Cafe for a number of years now with it's previous owners, and enjoyed it very much.

Recently I was in the seaview prior to its renovation when it's new owners had just taken over and was a little disappointed with the meal that myself and friends received, and there was a few items missing from the menu.

I was back a couple of weeks ago and I 'am sorry to say but it appears to have got worse instead of better, we sat down at 12:45pm and ten minutes later we got our drinks one my friends thought the coffee was far to strong, I think it would be a good idea to offer an alternative to suit peoples tastes instead of offering something which will put customers returniong, my friend left well over half over it, we then waited for almost an hour to get our meals, but by this time our drinks were either cold or finished.

We all ordered the same full breakfasts but was disappointed to see items missing from the plates, which were included in the price.

I will be giving it one last go to see if it has improved any I/we realise there is bound to be teething problems in taking on a venture such as this, but the new owners of the Seaview have quite a lot to live upto, so here's hoping I'am wrong !!

• crazy b 1
    Oct 1, 21:30

We had a meal in the seaview cafe which we enjoyed very much... the downside of it was, we were served our chips in a small bucket at the side of our plate which looked like a slate.I think we would have liked a plate with the chips on it.