Thistle’s recent good form at Barrfields deserted them on Saturday as they were on the receiving end of their third defeat to Rob Roy this season.
Despite an indifferent first half display with the Kirkintilloch men on top, Thistle did have some goal-den opportunities in this West of Scotland Cup third round tie to make a match of this.
The game kicked off with Largs very much on the backfoot with the first yellow card in under a minute issued to Matthew Ashe for a foul, with keeper Ross Lundy beating away the fast paced free kick.
The early pressure continued with the Largs penalty area peppered with corner kicks, and in one of Thistle’s few early attacks, a John Tennent free kick was headed clear, and Rob Roy launched an immediate counter. Willie Sawyers was clean through but tripped over his own feet and the chance was gone.
It was a lucky let-off for Largs but the pressure continued as Jamieson bravely kicked an effort away from Sawyers who seemed certain to pounce. However, the following corner was headed home by Kevin Green who ghosted into the box and wasn’t picked up.
Thistle had a brilliant opportunity to equalise as James Marks managed to peel away from a defender to clip the ball over the keeper’s head but the ball finished up over the bar. Marks had another powerful header which had precision but was just too far out as the Rabs keeper made the save.
Lundy made a superb fingertip save to keep Largs in this contest, but Thistle saw red as Ashe was red carded for his second bookable offence.
On 50 minutes, Thistle had a great opportunity to level matters after winning a penalty but Kevin Struthers effort to the left of goal was pushed away by the keeper.
Struthers feinting run and cross on the right fell to Marks whose downwards header has precision but keeper makes sprawling save.
Then on 70 minutes, the referee awarded another penalty but this time for Rob Roy as Sawyers effort was saved by Lundy at right post.
Matt Bennett had some late opportunities but lashed wide, and was ruled offside, and the Kirkintilloch men made sure of passage to a quarter final tie at Cumnock as Thistle keeper Lundy was rounded and the post was struck allowing Sawyers the simple job to hit the rebound into an empty net. The full-time whistle sounded just seconds later.
Overall it was a frustrating afternoon with Largs getting off to a poor start, and had opportunities to claw it back even when down to ten men, and much more is expected of Largs in their last two games.