Largs Thistle AFC 3-3 Kilbride Thistle (Largs win 6-5 on pens AET)
Largs progressed to the second round of the James Scott North Ayrshire Cup after a thriller at at Barrfields.
Largs gradually found their feet and took the lead with 20 minutes on the clock courtesy of an excellent solo goal by Ryan McMunn. The winger cut inside from his left wing berth before sending a terrific left-foot shot beyond the Kilbride 'keeper.
The visitors were still taking the game to Largs but a backline marshalled by the returning Dale Robson, Ben Conner, Grant Cockerill, who performed excellently in a make-shift full-back role, and Alistair McGowan was holding firm and the hosts went into the break a goal to the good.
The hosts had Conner to thank for keeping their lead intact when he produced a last-ditch goal-line clearance just as it looked as though parity was about to be restored.
Kilbride eventually equalised 20 minutes into the second period.I n-form goalkeeper David Cunningham pulled off a number of first class saves throughout the afternoon. He pulled off a great stop from close range but the rebound was drilled home to draw the visitors level.
The home side had three excellent chances to win the game in the closing stages. Firstly Russell went close with a left-foot effort having been picked out by Martin Dunlop. Mills then lashed a volley wide from 15 yards before McGowan headed over the bar from a corner kick.
With extra time looking, Largs introduced the fresh legs of Kieran Houston in place of Russell on the left wing.
The first period of extra time was played out in 'classic cup-tie' fashion. Two goals for the visitors were sandwiched by strikes by David Mills and Martin Dunlop as the game became very stretched.
In warm late summer sunshine, the second supplementary 15 was somewhat less frenetic, with penalty kicks becoming an inevitability.
The shoot-out reflected the match itself - both teams exchanging the lead in a topsy-turvy showdown. It was, perhaps, fitting that Cunningham had the final say, his second save of the shoot-out winning the game for Largs on the eighth round of kicks.
Largs: Cunningham, Cockerill, Conner, Robson, McGowan, McMunn, Dunlop. G, Bogle, Russell (Houston), Dunlop. M, Mills Subs: McGill, Riddle, Bowie