It was billed as the battle of the old heads against the young bucks, but in the end it was Cumbernauld's experience which shone through in the contest.

Thistle had some early chances with Alan Gilbride heading over from Alex McWaters curling ball from the left wing, but David Dickson had a free header at the other end after a dangerous cross from the left, and glanced just wide. It was an early warning to Thistle.

Largs sprung a surprise by fielding veteran keeper Stephen Connick as a trialist as a result of injuries to their goalkeepers, and he pulled off some marvellous saves, andthe 43 year old was particularly unlucky with the opening goal on 18 minutes as he got down well to make a super save but Cumbernauld's forward was fortunately in the right place to knock the rebound home.

Connick made another great save from the top right corner after Martin Shiels out wrestled Alan Gilbride to get in the angled opportunity, then Nicky Jamieson had to come to the rescue with Fraser Team charging down the right wing, and Robbie Winters lurking in space to capitalise on the Cumbernauld break.

Largs and Millport Weekly News:

But the visitors went further ahead as Team blazed through the middle, and rifled in a low shot to the bottom left hand corner on 35 minutes.

Graham Muir drilled in a diagonal effort which just went wide off the left hand post in reply for Largs.

Thistle introduced Martin Orr for Liam McVey in a more forward move,  but Cumbernauld remained compact and closed Largs down at every opportunity. Thistle's best chance fell to Orr after a good opening on the right but he blazed wide. 

A corner kick caused mayhem in the Cumbernauld box as Struthers got in an effort which resulted in visiting keeper Brinn turning the ball away with his fingertips.

Largs and Millport Weekly News:

However, Cumbernauld were still proving dangerous on the break, with Scott Murphy bringing the best out of Connick again with a 25 yard curling strike, but 'Supersonic' again showed his class with a a full stretch save around the post.

Both Connick and McMaster blocked another Cumbernauld effort as time was running out for a Largs comeback, and the visitors sealed the victory late on with a third from the spot.

Largs: Connick, Fisher, McVey, Gilbride, Jamieson, Fleming, McWaters, Muir, Adam, Struthers, McMaster. Subs: Campbell, Orr, Ashe, Kasubandi, Graham (GK).