Sir Thomas Brisbane played a major role in saving the sanitation of Largs following a major epidemic of cholera.

Early pictures of Largs Main Street show that syvers where in place but what was their origin? An 1883 report stated: 'Sir Thomas Brisabne had hard work to obtain leave to carry out the wise plan for causing a a constant uncovered flow of living streams along the sides of the principal streets of Largs. This was accomplished in 1852. Since that time fevers and deadly epidemics have all btu disappeared. Largs is now considered the most healthy place on the Firth of Clyde.' The "living streams" or syvers (Scottish gutter) as they were popularly called, were supplied with water from the Gogo Burn by permission of the Laird of Halkshill. They helped to keep down the dust from the old-fashioned roads made of broken whinstone and soil. In wet weather the roads becameq very muddy and had to be scraped. In dry weather they had to be sprayed by water cart.

Forty years after the introduction of syvers in 1992, on the completion of the augmented water supply scheme, Bailie Buchanan moved that the commissioners give notice to Mr Scott that they would not continue the use of the Gogo water on the streets in future as they now had a plentiful supply of water.

Why did Largs have a 'Straight Street Party' and the 'Piper Row Widening Party'?

Piper Row (now Aitken Street) was a narrow winding lane just wide enough for a cart and horse in the 19th century and used to have the old Mission Hall as well as John Rodger"s coal ree which later went on to become Gavin"s ironmongers which has been in place for over several decades.

Early in 1893 the Burgh Commissioners discussed a proposed scheme for a new street in the line of Boyd Street or Lade Street into Main Street. At subsequent meetings the proposal was narrowed down to the continuation of Boyd Street to Main Street, and a motion to make a straight street was carried. This motion was subsequently rescinded and for several years the "battle" raged between the 'Straight Street' Party and the 'Piper Row Widening Party'.

Many long and stormy meetings are recorded. At a meeting in 1899, the Piper Row widening scheme was decided on by 5 votes to 3 and new plans were ordered to be prepared.

The re-naming of the street came up for discussion in April 1901 and again in May 1903. At both of these meeting sit was decided not to alter the name Piper Row, New names suggested in these discussions were Trongate, Haco Street, King Street, Piper Avenue, Piper Quadrant, Arthur Street and Tron Street. A year or two later the re-naming of the street was again raised and then it got its present name of Aitken Street to perpetuate the name of the first Provost of Largs.

When did the cannons get fired from Largs seafront?

A walled battery was based at Noddle Point to the north side of Largs around 170 years ago and was used by the Artillery Volunteers with the old smooth bore muzzle loading cannons. These guns fired a 30 lb shot. One of the cannon balls was unearthed in 1953 in a garden behind the Artillery Hall (currently Largs Fire Station) where there used to be a shed housing one of the old cannons used for practising mounting and dismounting the gun. Near the Noddle Point battery, there was a rifle range for the local Rifle Volunteer Company. The Artillery battery was transferred to Bowen Craig, where the Pencil now stands, when Aubery Crescent was built in 1888.

Why did Largs Thistle"s victory in the Ayrshire Cup in 1923 cause surprise?

The club won the Ayrshire Cup by defeating New Cumnock 3-1 in the final at Rugby Park, At the time Largs won the cup the club had not been admitted to the Western League and their successes against more prominent clubs caused created surprise.