A PENSIONER required help from emergency services after inhaling smoke during a blaze in her house.

Police and the fire brigade were called out to Douglas Street on Monday evening at around 5pm.

Emergency services, including Scottish Fire and Rescue, attended.

Sergeant Sharon Kerr, of Largs police, explained: "There was a minor kitchen fire in Douglas Street.

"The elderly householder was treated for very minor smoke inhalation and is otherwise well."

A spokesman for Scottish Fire and Rescue said: "The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service was alerted at 5.08pm to reports of a fire within a kitchen of a property in Largs.

"Operations Control mobilised three fire engines to the scene, on Douglas Road, where crews extinguished the fire.

"One casualty suffering from slight smoke inhalation was passed into the care of Scottish Ambulance Service personnel."

The crews had left the scene by 6.30pm.