A DOG owner launched a violent attack on a shocked pensioner at Largs shore after the OAP complained about him not picking up after his pet.

The 69-year-old local man was set upon by after he approached his assailant near to the Magnus the Viking statue.

He suffered facial injuries after being struck about the head - with police now launching a public appeal to help trace his attacker.

Inspector Colin Convery of Largs Police said: "We are currently investigating this assault.

"It would appear the victim approached the person to complain about their not picking up the mess left behind by their dog.

"He was then assaulted and sustained minor injuries.

"Constable Paterson at Largs Police Office is the enquiry officer. We would appeal for any witnesses to contact us."

The incident took place on 11 June at around 8pm.

The North Ayrshire Council’s environmental enforcement team have issued a warning following the attack.

It comes are they revealed they have handed out over 1,300 fixed penalty notices in just three years.

Councillor Jim Montgomerie, Cabinet Member for Place, said: “The number of environmental crimes being reported has never been higher because there is a recognition that the team mean business. They are passionate about cleaning our communities.

“We understand that it can be incredibly frustrating when you see someone leaving a mess.

"We have all probably witnessed someone tossing a piece of rubbish or not cleaning up after their dog. It feels like they are committing a crime against you and the whole community.

“While it is very annoying, our advice would be not to confront the person. If you feel you have to, please tread very carefully.

"This gentleman was punched because he confronted a man who failed to clean his dog’s mess. This is totally unacceptable.

“It wold be much better and safer if people contacted us with as many details as possible. We will then endeavour to catch the culprit and issue him or her with a fine."

People can contact the team at EnvironmentalEnforcementTeam@north-ayrshire.gov.uk or log a complaint via the council’s website.