A LARGS councillor has reverted to using bottled water in his home - after claiming drinking water from local taps is overdosed with chemicals.

Tom Marshall says he is concerned about the safety of the local supply due to an 'overpowering' smell of chlorine.

Scottish Water bosses insist it is safe - but have issued advice to locals who don't like the smell or taste.

Cllr. Marshall, who lives in Rockland Park, said the water in his home is unpalatable.

He told the News: "I have a group of friends who regularly visit and they can't drink the water because of the smell of the chlorine.

"Chlorine is meant to cleanse the water, but I think what we are getting it is being overdosed.

"Chlorine is used in the likes of swimming pools to disinfect the water, you need to boil it to drive the taste and smell out.

"It is a problem for Scottish Water to solve and I'd imagine they would have to alter the dosing of it at the treatment plant at Knock Castle to tackle this.

"I am aware of quite a number of people have raised concerns about it.

"It is a real problem and I'm having to buy bottled water." Scottish Water were due to hold a seminar with councillors at North Ayrshire Council, where Cllr. Marshall has raised the matter.

The utility firm say that chlorine is added to disinfect it and keep it safe to drink.

They added: "It has to be used carefully, but it is harmless when used in the very small amounts found in drinking water.

"The amount of chlorine added to water is tightly controlled by Scottish Water, but it is not unusual for a slight taste or smell of chlorine to be noticeable.

"It is absolutely essential that drinking water should be safe to drink and contain no harmful bacteria capable of causing diseases.

"Chlorine has been proven to be the simplest and most effective means of disinfecting water and has been used in the UK for 100 years.

"The addition of chlorine in small amounts at water treatment works disinfects the supply and leaves a lasting residual that keeps the water safe until it reaches customers' taps.

"The amount of chlorine in water leaving the local treatment works is safe and well within World Health Organisation guidelines."

Scottish Water say that a safe way to overcome the smell or taste is to place a covered jug of water in the fridge before drinking, which allows the chlorine to disperse and cool water always tastes better.

A number of domestic water filters are also available to remove chlorine.

Have you been affected? If so call our newsdesk on 01475 558979.