TRIBUTES have been paid to a great grandfather who grew up in Millport 'and never forgot his roots'.

Andy Anderson passed away on Thursday at the age of 84 after suffering a stroke and will have his ashes scattered across the top of the island.

He was born in Glasgow in 1936, but moved to Millport with his family when he was about five before setting up home in Skelmorlie, where he lived with his wife May until his retirement.

The couple seen out their days in Blackpool but their connection to the local area remained strong as they always returned to Millport for breaks and kept a caravan holiday home in Skelmorlie.

Andy had one sister Cathy and three brothers, George Alan and Bill, and all went to school at Cumbrae Primary.

His son Andrew said: "My grandpa's ashes are scattered on the hill on Cumbrae and that is where dad wanted his to lie as well.

"He always told stories about when he lived in Millport and loved going back to enjoy an ice cream or a cycle round the island."

However, in his 20s, Andy moved to Skelmorlie where his dad worked at the town's gas works, and had a house close by.

Andy met May at a dance at the Cragburn Pavilion in Gourock and they went on to have three children, seven grandchildren and seven great grandchildren.

Andy carried out his national service with the Royal signals - the communications branch of the army - and ended up travelling to Germany to work in the RAF bases in the 1950s.

May, who was born and bred in Port Glasgow, worked in Greenock High School as an office secretary and son Andrew went to school in Greenock as Largs Academy had reached full capacity.

After leaving the gasworks, Andy and May moved to Innes Park Road.

Andy was a gas board electrician and then became a central heating engineer covering all over the west of Scotland including Greenock, Bridge of Weir, and Kilmacolm, where he had many clients.

The couple were well known in the Toc H club and at the Eglinton Bar in Skelmorlie.

Their passion was ballroom dancing and they went to regular events in the old Marine and Curlinghall Hotel in Largs and the Firemen's Ball in Port Glasgow.

Andy had a triple by pass operation when he was 70 and suffered a stroke last month. Unfortunately at the same time, May suffered a minor heart attack and had to be taken into hospital. She recovered but sadly Andrew deteriorated and passed away at home.

Andrew said: "Mum had been dad's carer, and when she had to go into hospital we had to arrange for people to look after him.

"Dad was so excited when mum came back home but unfortunately he then had to go to hospital after a stroke. He was allowed back home for his final few days."

Andy's funeral took place last Friday and fittingly the minister, Stuart Gay, was a former signalman,colleague and friend.

Andrew added: "He was a very kind man and always respectful and decent to others. My father he would talk to anyone. If you extended the hand of friendship to him, it would be gladly taken and returned.

"He was hard working, and a very friendly and generous character and will be much missed."