TRIBUTES have been paid to a 'remarkable and inspirational' local lady after she died aged 101.

Nancy Gibson died peacefully in her sleep at Hutton Park Care Home in Largs recently after a life dedicated to helping others.

Having moved to Skelmorlie over 50 years ago, Nancy spent many happy years with her two sisters Margaret and Mary, helping out in various groups including the RNLI, WEA and the local church.

In World War 2, she served as a very young WAAF, and having already become a keen driver was stationed at various RAF bomber airfields.

When large aircraft from squadrons of different nationalities had returned from raids, they were guided by Nancy to their designated places for repairs, refuelling and reloading.

During the war, her eldest sister Mary was posted to the British Embassy in Washington, and subsequent adventures involved trips to both the United States and Canada where various relatives had settled.

When Margaret retired in 1969, the sisters, who had been living together in Cheshire, decided to return to Scotland and bought a Scandinavian style bungalow in Eglinton Terrace, Skelmorlie.

The sisters all became involved in local organisations such as the National Trust, the Historical Society and the RNLI.

Nancy and Margaret became involved with the church at Skelmorlie, having been life-long worshippers, and enjoyed baking and jam-making for fundraising events.

Nancy also enjoyed various sports, particularly swimming, and was a regular in the Gourock open air pool well into her mid 80s, as well as a keen tennis and badminton player.

When maintaining the house and gardens at Kikut became too much for the three sisters, they sold up and moved into the newly built apartments at Castle Bay Court in Largs.

Mary passed away at the age of 98, followed by Margaret at Inverclyde Royal Hospital. Nancy had been a kind and compassionate carer for both of her sisters in their later years.

Nancy moved to Hutton Park in May 2014 after several short stays in hospital.

Nephew David said: "Nancy loved being at Hutton Park, particularly her room on the first floor from where she could look out over the Clyde to the Cumbrae and over to Toward lighthouse, a view she’d had for 50 years.

"She was only too keen to be out in the garden, go to Nardini’s for an ice cream or coffee and cake and jumped at the opportunity of being driven in a rickshaw at Hutton a couple of years ago.

"Above all she loved visits from family and friends and going out with them for the occasional day visit or couple of nights away."

A short illness meant she had to spend her 100th birthday in Inverclyde Hospital, but relatives came from all over the world for the celebration.

David added: "Nancy always joked that her longevity was probably due to the occasional small glass of whisky, but those who knew her will never forget her wonderful caring attitude and her infectious smile."