Plans to create a flood protection scheme for Millport have taken another significant step forward after a public consultation.

North Ayrshire Council’s Cabinet has agreed to the initial confirmation of the proposed Millport Coastal Flood Protection Scheme.

Residents have been giving their views on the proposals over the past few months, with just five objections to the scheme.

The project will create an offshore breakwater connecting the small islands in Millport Bay, along with flood walls and other protection along the Millport shoreline.

This will reduce the risk of flooding to the most vulnerable properties in the town, and also aims to give better access along Millport seafront to walkers and cyclists.

The current plan will also create a section of sheltered water in the bay that could be developed in the future to a community marina.

Councillor Jim Montgomerie said: “The Millport Flood Protection Scheme has really been shaped by residents of Cumbrae whose voice has been heard loud and clear throughout the process.

“We are now very close to the scheme moving from the planning stage to becoming a reality so I would like to thank residents for their fantastic contribution.”

Residents who objected to the scheme will be notified of the decision and will have an opportunity to reconsider.

It is expected that the council will be asked to give final confirmation of the scheme later this year, which will allow planners to start detailed design and tender preparation works.

The estimated cost of the scheme is £27.5m, with 80 per cent of the funding coming from the Scottish Government and the remaining 20 per cent funded by North Ayrshire Council.

Construction is currently expected to get under way in early 2022 and is likely to take about two years to complete.