Beith 5 Largs Thistle 0

Supreme Beith smashed Largs in a Bellsdale Park blast as Largs failed to take their chances in a breathless encounter on Wednesday evening.

The hosts made a positive start and scored within five minutes as Imrie drilled home from close range after a cross which wasn't cut out by Largs. Beith also hit the post from a free kick in the lively start.

Thistle had a terrific chance to equalise as Sid McBryde's well placed chipped cross found forward Keir Milliken in space at his old stomping ground but his powerful volley blazed over the bar.

Winger Jack Haggerty raced forward and chipped the keeper but the ball finished wayward.

Beith punished Largs for their misses with Jordan Duffy finishing off a slide rule pass from Kenny McLean on 17 minutes, then Largs keeper Jamie McGowan made the first of a number of good saves to deny Beith a third a moment later.

Milliken threaded the ball through for Stuart Faulds who was one on one with the Beith keeper but agonisingly slipped the effort inches wide of the right post.

Haggerty rounded off the first half by smashing the crossbar with 25 yard piledriver free kick. The injured Cory Hughes was replaced by new signing Jamie Ballantyne in defence.

The second half saw ex-Largs player Larry McMahon chop down Haggerty near the halfway mark which provoked a furious reaction from the Thistle dug-out - he was cautioned.

Beith scored two quick fire goals to effectively kill off Largs - a high quality chip from Calum Watt at the edge of the area on 57 minutes, and an expertly placed low shot rifled into the bottom right hand corner by Kenny McLean on the hour mark. William Sewell and Owen McGinty also entered proceedings as Largs tried to make the breakthrough.

Thistle went close again with more free kicks flying in from Haggarty and McGinty forcing good saves from Burgess, while McGowan had to look lively at the other end making a top quality save to deny the home side.

McMahon's direct pass released Josh Fowler who made no mistake to slam the ball into the back of the net on 78 minutes.

Thistle skipper Scott Adam's close range effort was blocked by Burgess and McGinty's jinking run and shot drew claims for a handball in the box but the referee showed no interest.

It was a harsh defeat for Largs who were thoroughly out of luck at a ground where they have suffered many times over the years but despite the deficit it was incredible the amount of chances that Largs created.

But it was Beith who dished out a lesson in finishing and looked lethal every time they went up the park.

Two defeats, seven goals conceded and no goals scored in the PDM Buildbase West of Scotland Football League doesn't make for pretty reading - far from it.

Largs need to dig deep and turn this around, and the olive leaf was the chances and creativity on show tonight which showed that there is reason for optimism going forward.

Beith: Burgess, McGlinchey, Noble, O'Neill, McMahon, Shields, Watt, Frize, McLean, Imrie, Duffy, Subs Gray, Fowler, McGoldrick, Hood, Hepburn, Young, Winning (Gk)

LARGS: McGowan, Cameron, Sewell, Hughes, Love, Faulds, McBryde, Forbes, Adam, Milliken, Haggarty. Subs: Sewell, McGinty, McMaster, Ballantyne, McPhee, Lindsay, Farrell (Gk).