Largs Thistle 2 Glasgow United 1

Premiership Largs huffed and puffed to overcome Conference B side Glasgow United who were only minutes away from taking this Scottish Cup encounter to the lottery of penalty kicks.
The visitors were pulling off time wasting tactics and lost their discipline in the second half as they were reduced to nine men as Owen McGinty won a late penalty to rescue Thistle and see them into the draw for the next round. 
Thistle were missing Keir Milliken who was on holiday, Jack Haggarty was not selected as a precaution due to an injury he picked up at Pollok, and Craig Forbes is awaiting a scan. 
William Sewell had a marvellous opening in two minutes and opened up his body only to send his right footed drive beyond the left post from 12 yards.
Thistle put concerted pressure on United with a series of corners and took the lead on 40 minutes.
Owen McGinty raced across from the left and did a clever 1-2 with Blair Docherty on the edge of the penalty area before supplying William Sewell who hit a rasping 20 yard diagonal effort which nestled into the bottom left hand corner of the net. He is now top scorer with four goals. See goal below...

On 42 minutes, United netted the leveller with a quick break down the right hand side and Steffan Graham launched an amazing angled effort from the right hand side which flew into the top left corner from 20 yards.
It was a real suckerpunch for Largs heading into the break after having dominated proceedings.
United proved to be very stubborn to break down but Thistle continued to stretch the opposition to the point that Glasgow United got a red card after Matthew McElvey chopped down McGinty as he raced down the left wing. See clip below.

George Sewell sent an ambitious overhead kick wide of the left post (see clip below) and then Scott Adam headed a good opportunity wide, and McGinty's run and curled effort produced a solid catch from the keeper.

Largs won a spot kick on 87 minutes after the dancing feet of McGinty provoked a trip in the penalty box after the winger raced into the box from the left on 82 minutes. Adam stepped up to confidently place the ball into the bottom corner of the net to put Thistle 2-1 up. See below clip.

There was another red card for United as Largs held out.
Given Thistle's extensive run of games throughout the summer, they have been running on empty in recent weeks, and ultimately showed some battling spirit to get over the finishing line.
LARGS: McGowan, McMaster, Ballantyne, Sewell, Love, Faulds, Docherty, McBryde, Adam, Sewell, McGinty. Subs: Lindsay. MacIntyre ,McPhee, Ferguson, Black, Gray, Farrell (GK)
Photos: Ryan Scott Photography