Largs Thistle 1 Kilbirnie Ladeside 3

Not good enough. That was the verdict of Thistle boss Stuart Davidson who says his side need to start defending better as a team.

Yet again Largs looked highly vulnerable after battling hard to engineer a lead - a common trait in recent weeks - and a problem which they need to solve quickly.

A crazy ten minute period from Largs at the end of the first half proved decisive in this encounter as Kilbirnie took this game by the scruff of the neck.

The expected second half comeback did not materialise from the home side as Ladeside held on and could have added to their lead in a desperately disappointing finish to this game.

Largs opened proceedings against a fierce wind and took the game to their North Ayrshire rivals in the early stages.

Ladeside tried their luck with the wind behind them from distance - see below.

Thistle had the majority of the play and got their reward on the half hour mark when Keir Milliken skilfully turned home a near post corner from McGinty.

Against the run of play Ladeside levelled on 34 minutes as Liam McGuinness stroked the ball home from a slide rule pass from sub Ross Taylor.
Largs raced up the park and Sean McLeod on the right turned his man inside out before smashing a brilliant effort off the left post. See below.

In response, Kilbirnie went up the park and scored a sparkling second as another sub John Gallagher curled home from the left.

And Ladeside grabbed a two goal advantage before half-time. Murphy was able to finish off from close range after a goalmouth scramble after Scullion's chip over Jamie McGowan was cleared off the line by Hughes.
Thistle were left reeling by the smash and grab but Kilbirnie continued to hold out after the break - and nearly added to their score, striking the post twice.

The best opportunities for Largs fell to Will Sewell with two good headers, and screwed an effort wide.
Again Largs created a barrel-load of chances in this game but couldn't capitalise - and the high winds had a big bearing on this game.

These games are high stakes and Largs boss Stuart Davidson is demanding players stand up and be counted for the visit to Blantyre this Saturday.

THISTLE: McGowan, McLeod, McMaster, Love, Hughes, Faulds, MacIntyre, Forbes, Milliken, Sewell, McGinty. Subs: Ballantyne, Docherty, Lindsay, Rutherford, Farrell.

Kilbirnie: Walker, Girvan, Kelly, McGuiness, Murphy, Meechan, McWaters, Pearson, Sharpe, Scullion, Muir. Subs: Taylor, Gallagher, Bamford, Henry, McBride, Fitzpatrick. Wilton.

Referee: Gary Train