Largs Thistle 2 Glenafton 0

Thistle took a step closer to safety with an impressive win over Glenafton yesterday evening.
With both sides requiring a win to avoid being sucked deeper into the relegation mire, this was a pulsating encounter.
The opening goal from Will Sewell has already had 70,000 views combined on social media channels.

See the goal below



However, Glens started on the frontfoot with a few early chances, and worked Largs keeper Daniel Farrell from distance with a free kick, and had a few half chances which went fizzing wide.
But gradually as the first half wore on, Thistle were starting to look more settled, and it was winger George Sewell who struck the crossbar with a fierce half volley from outside the box.
Glens were getting more and more frustrated as their own attacks were petering out - with Connor McGoldrick a strong presence at the back for Thistle as he got his body in the way and intercepted a number of forward moves from the opposition at source.
Yellow cards were being dished out as cynical fouls were becoming more frequent as Glens were visibly struggling up against Thistle's energetic pace.
Largs again went close as speedy midfielder Craig Forbes sent in a soaring header which came crashing off the bar with Scott Adam's follow up well saved by the Glens keeper David Markey.
And Will Sewell went close with a bullet volley which had to be beaten away by Markey as the referee blew for an infringement as Adam challenged the keeper.
It was goalless at half-time but there was a sense that Largs were closing in on victory.
Thistle deservedly took the lead on 50 minutes as Will Sewell cut inside the box and his quick feet left the Glens in his slipstream as he opened up space to curl a fantastic shot past Markey into the top right corner. 
A succession of corners followed as Glens struggled to deal with McGoldrick's presence in the box and he went close with a header just flying over, and then he managed to bundle the ball into the back of the net but it was ruled out for offside.
A valuable two goal cushion was secured on 65 minutes as Stuart Faulds was on hand to finish off after good work from Adam.
Laurie McMaster very nearly made it three as his angled strike from the left was beaten away by Markey and frantically cleared. Will Sewell also showed some excellent first touches from some high balls and went close again with some driven in efforts - as Thistle's high pressing game continued to unsettle Glenafton.
Largs rung the changes with Will Sewell being replaced by Blair Docherty as they continued to dominate matters and restrict Glenafton to some long shots.
This was another professional performance from Thistle who had to cope with an early Glenafton onslaught but after seeing that out managed to dominate the remainder of this match in relentless fashion.
Roared on by a noisy support, this was very comfortable in the end with the crossbar and some good saves preventing Thistle from winning by a greater margin.
LARGS: Farrell, Hughes, McMaster, McGoldrick, Ballantyne, Faulds, G.Sewell, McBryde, W.Sewell, Adam, Forbes. Subs: Haggerty, McLeod, Duffy, Docherty, Love, McGowan (GK).