Largs Thistle 2 Cumnock 1

It is a dangerous business writing off Largs Thistle these days.

Cumnock arrived at Barrfields top of the league, bristling with confidence but by 4pm the away dressing room was closed and there was some deep soul searching going on.

That is full credit to Largs manager Stuart Davidson and his side who put on a brilliant and resolute display.

Not many gave Thistle an earthly going into this game - this was a bruising encounter for Cumnock whose unbeaten start to the season unravelled in the squally conditions at Barrfields Park.

The opening goal arrived after only 15 minutes as midfielder Stuart Faulds was sent clattering to the ground for Largs.

Eighteen year old Lewis Davidson, son of Largs manager Stuart, stepped up and fired a brilliant shot into the left hand corner of the net.

Cumnock then put the shutters on McLeod as he burst down the left and was bundled to the floor for another dead ball situation.

Davidson stepped up and this time hit a low rifled effort which cannoned off the base of the left post and George Sewell fired the rebound wide.

Thistle keeper Jamie McGowan cleverly headed out the danger after a back pass from Ryan McCreath in the swirling rain.

On 29 minutes, Moore was on the end of a good passing move by Cumnock but McCreath made a great challenge to prevent an almost certain goal.

Cumnock's Moore then looked he was clean through on goal but Cory Hughes skilfully tackled him and clear the danger - there was no way through thanks to Thistle's determined play.

At the start of the second half great defending from MacAusland prevented Alan Frizzell from turning the ball into the Cumnock net after an outstretched leg diverted the ball for a corner.

Barclay then had to firmly punch away Stuart Faulds dangerous cross come shot from the left with both hands.

Both Connor McGoldrick and McLeod tested Barclay from distance with good long range shots in the swirling conditions, and Laurie McMaster's cross from the left opened up the Cumnock rearguard but there were no takers.

Sewell brilliantly kept an eye on Jared Willet as he raced into the box and tackled him at the byeline so he couldn't get his cross over.

The equaliser came on 67 minutes as Willet let rip with his left foot as he launched a spectacular 25 yard curling effort into the top left post.

The winning goal came on 77 minutes as Cory Hughes headed home at the near post from a Stuart Faulds corner.

A dangerous cross headed out for a corner by Cory Hughes, and Cumnock were reduced to a high lob over the bar as the match fizzled out.

This was a terrific performance from Largs who defensively stopped the visitors at almost every turn and it is difficult to recall them having any clearcut chances apart from the goal.

Largs have a real talent in Lewis Davidson from the dead ball, and Thistle shouldered the burden of the equaliser and pushed on for a deserved winner.


Lewis Davidson opened his goalscoring account with a terrific free kick against CumnockNewsquest

There was certainly some disquiet from the Thistle players about the treatment dished out from Cumnock with a number of cynical fouls drawing yellow cards with McLeod falling victim on several occasions - but Largs impressively bounced back up and continued to cause the away team problems.

It was difficult to find any fault with the performance other than Largs should have been out of sight by the time Cumnock scored their equaliser but Thistle players kept a cool head and let their high quality pressing play do the talking.

Much more of this please.

Thistle: McGowan, Hughes, McLeod, McGoldrick, McCreath, McMaster, Faulds, Sewell, Davidson, Forbes, Frizzell. Subs: McBryde, Thompson, Walker (GK)

Cumnock: Barclay, McLennan, Willet, Ferry, McAusland, Carnwarth, Frye, Wilson, McLean, Moore, Conn. Subs: Strain, Boyd, Sharpe, Ross, Trialist, Trialist.