Largs Thistle 0 Cambuslang Rangers 1

Below par Largs suffered a shock late defeat at home to Cambuslang Rangers in a game they should never have lost.

From the heights of beating league leaders and champions Darvel away in their last league game to the lows of losing at home to the second bottom team in the league, it was difficult to put a finger on why this performance was so bland and uninspiring.

But as manager Stuart Davidson admitted afterwards - Largs really got what they deserved, and need to buck up their ideas fast, as the relegation zone is getting tightly packed again like last season, and with a number of teams below having games in hand over Thistle, you simply cannot afford to lose your home games.

This match looked like heading for a scoreless draw when the visitors popped up a few minutes before the end to turn the game on its head with a surprise winner.

Of course, this was a match which was rescheduled after the original encounter between the sides last month was controversially called off by the referee after only 22 minutes play due to high winds.

And while Largs did have injuries and suspension hampering them this time round, they should still have been capable with the players at their disposal of getting a positive result.

The visitors had an early chance after only three minutes as a free kick from the right was whisked into the box as a deflected effort cannoned wide. 

Grant Brennan was crowded out by Largs defenders but still managed to loft a shot over the goal a few moments later from a difficult position.

On 21 minutes, Stuart Faulds thundered in a shot off the post after a good attack build-up and Ramsay also had a good opportunity which went wide.

Largs were rampaging forward with Sean McLeod letting rip from distance with a 30 yard effort which was well saved by the Cambuslang keeper.

However the influential playmaker pulled up with a recurring hamstring injury and had to come off to be replaced by Scott Lewis.

A good deep cross from Blair Devine to the far post was a good opening for Largs but Lewis mistimed his jump and the opportunity was gone.

Lewis got closer from a Faulds corner but his low bullet header hit the side netting.

For Cambuslang, Callum McLean down the right wing set up Jay Nelson at the edge of the area, and his low diagonal shot to the bottom left corner of the net was cleared off the line by trialist John Tennant on 61 minutes.

At the other end Faulds was knocked down and Largs won a free kick thirty yards out but it was perhaps just too far out for Lewis Davidson, who scored a spectacular free kick against Cumnock earlier this season, as he skied over the bar.

Largs continued to pepper crosses into the box but to no avail as time was ticking away.

Thistle had a let-off on 79 minutes as Largs were caught upfield as Cambuslang won possession and Brennan raced in the clear towards the Largs goal but credit to Tennant who managed to dash back and put the striker under pressure as he screwed wide. It was a warning shot for Largs.

Scott Lewis side volleyed Faulds corner at the near post but flicked it wide, and then hit a near post volley against the side netting as time was running out.

Disaster struck with three minutes of regulation time to go as Ben Richford skilfully weaved his way past two challenges on the left wing, and sent over a dangerous low cross which was thumped home by Brennan at the near post.

There were a few minutes of stoppage time but Largs were unable to rustle up a clearcut opportunity to salvage something from an encounter they were largely comfortably in and in reality should never have lost but paid the ultimate price for a lack of clearcut chances and not taking their opportunities when then they arose.

LARGS: McGowan, Tennant, Devine, Hughes, McCreath, Faulds, McLeod, McBryde, Ramsay, Frizzell, Davidson. Subs: Thompson, Lewis, Nimmo, Walker (GK).