CONCERNED residents rushed to help emergency services in the aftermath of a three-car smash in West Kilbride on Friday.

A dramatic police chase from Largs ended with a vehicle slamming into a wall on Snowdon Terrace, damaging two other cars in the process.

Paramedics and fire services were quickly on scene, with an air ambulance landing in a nearby field as the major A78 trunk road was shut by police.

Cameron Clark, who lives in the village, says everyone was shocked by the scenes and praised emergency services for their response.

He said: “When I arrived on scene it was a mess with car debris all over the road, a very shaken young lady who was the passenger in the high speed crash and a large police and emergency services presence.

“To say they were quick to deal with it all would be an understatement, the professionalism from all who attended was excellent.

“As soon as the crash happened, all of the neighbours were out to make sure everyone was okay."

With traffic queuing up in both directions, Cameron says residents stepped in to offer directions and direct traffic to allow officers to deal with the aftermath of the smash.

He explained: “We all knew the police had their hands full and the road was closed at certain points with police vehicles.

“However locals helped give directions to drivers coming from Largs or down through west Kilbride who didn’t know how to get to Ardrossan with the main road closed.

“We are a small community, but one that is always glad to lend a hand and come together whenever it is needed.”

The road was reopened several hours later, with one driver taken to hospital with injuries and subsequently arrested by police.

A Police Scotland spokesperson said: “A car failed to stop when signalled by officers in Largs around 3.50pm on March 10.

“The vehicle was followed and was subsequently involved in a collision with other cars on the A78 near West Kilbride around 4pm.

“A 29 year-old man was taken to hospital for treatment. He has been arrested in connection with road traffic offences and enquiries are ongoing.”