A DEATH by dangerous driving accused footballer charged with killing a dad on an Inverclyde road was intoxicated on booze, it is alleged.

Greenock man Craig Forbes stands accused of causing a fatal crash on the A78 which resulted in the death of 59-year-old David Horn, pictured.

Forbes, 23 — who plays for juniors team Largs Thistle — appeared at Greenock Sheriff Court yesterday charged with driving dangerously whilst under the influence.

He is said to have caused the death of Wemyss Bay man Mr Horn on the A78 near Inverkip whilst his ability to drive was 'impaired through the consumption of alcohol'.

Prosecutors say that Forbes drove at excessive speed and performed an overtake manoeuvre when it was unsafe to do so.

The Crown says he lost control of his car, causing it to enter the opposing carriageway and collide with a vehicle which was being driven by Mr Horn.

READ MORE: Man charged in connection with fatal A78 crash near Inverkip

The charge states that Mr Horn was so severely injured that he died.

Largs and Millport Weekly News: A MAN has died following a serious road crash on the A78 between Wemyss Bay and Inverkip last night. 

Police had been called to a two-car collision involving a Toyota Yaris and a Volkswagen Golf at around 11.25pm on October 15 last year.

Mr Horn was rushed by ambulance to the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital in Glasgow for emergency treatment.

He later succumbed to his injuries and passed away.

The road was closed in both directions for more than nine hours following the incident.

Mr Horn's family described him as a ‘loving, caring and compassionate husband and father’, adding that he was a 'ready, willing and true friend to many'.

Largs and Millport Weekly News:

Forbes faces two charges under the Road Traffic Act 1988, one of causing death by dangerous driving and a second of driving or attempting to drive on a road or other public place while unfit to drive through drink or drugs.

He made no plea through defence lawyer Paul Keenan during a petition undertaking hearing in private at Greenock Sheriff Court.

Sheriff Thomas Ward continued matters for further examination and granted Forbes bail.

A date for the next calling of the case is to be confirmed.