Largs Thistle 1 Hurlford United 1
This was a hard fought point for Largs who looked in danger of throwing this match away after conceding a late penalty on the 87th minute.
Thistle showed great resilience to battle back a minute later with sublime move and finish from experienced midfielder Graham Muir to rescue a deserved share of the spoils at Barrfields in this Premier clash.
With skipper Creag Little ruled out as he was on holiday in Australia, and with Alan Gilbride recently leaving, it left Largs with a defensive headache with only one centre half in Nicky Jamieson.
Martin Orr was pulled into the centre while creative midfielder Stuart Faulds had to be sacrificed in full-back position to cover, with Gary Fleming's combative presence coming into midfield.
It was a rare start for John Carter who provided a strong and pacey presence on the right wing.
Chances were few and far between in the game which was an intriguing chess battle.
It could well have been first versus second in the league if Largs had been able to play their match the previous week against Petershill and had collected the three points.
The bookies had made Hurlford overwhelming favourites but it was Largs who had the most clear cut opportunity of the first half.
It was Ben Black who scurried down the left channel and threaded the ball through to Scott Adam who was one on one with the Hurlford keeper on 22 minutes.
Adam should have fired in an effort but instead tried to stop the ball and slipped. 
But as he tumbled to the ground his fired in an off balance effort which ricocheted off a defender and was then cleared.
McMaster made some crucial challenges to deny some Hurlford breakaways, while Nicky Jamieson was also prominent making some timely interventions, and Orr was also industrious.
Chris Robertson sent a free header from a corner wide of target for the visitors who were upping the ante before half-time.
As both teams filtered into the dressing room at half-time, it was goal-less; a week before Hurlford had been four goals up on their opponents Troon at this stage, so it was a good measure that Thistle had been relatively comfortable, and had created chances against the champions elect.
At the start of the second half, Farrell had to look lively to block Hilton's smart volley, and then Hilton's free kick had to be parried by Farrell early in the second half as the Ford enjoyed some good possession.
But at the other end big Carter got on the end of Mark Millar's deep and curling free kick from the right hand side but flashed his downward header bouncing wide of the left post.
Another set-piece and another opportunity as Hurlford's Ross Fisher nodded over the bar.
Both teams made substitutions with Joe Knowles coming on for Carter, while Kevin Struthers and Paul Harkins also entered the field of play to replace Ben Black and Gary Fleming.
Knowles provided an injection of pace and took the ball on the run on a few occasions and gave the Hurlford defence something to think about.
Millar teed up Knowles but he sent a searing shot over the bar from 20 yards out.
Black showed electric pace as he attempted to burst through on goal but was body checked and awarded a free kick which Millar curled over the bar.
As the game neared its conclusion, both teams seemed to be taking more risks in the quest for maximum points, and despite the lack of goals, it became all the more intriguing.
Hurlford were beginning to turn the screw and cannoned in a shot off the left hand post with Farrell getting a touch on 82 minutes, and then Farrell had to make a superb reflex save to deny sub Michael Reilly who looked certain to score.
But Largs responded with a far reaching cross into the box which found Knowles who fired in an effort on the angle from the right byeline.
The Ford keeper Ally Brown looked uncertain as he tried to catch the ball but smothered it at the second opportunity.
On 87 minutes, Struthers was adjudged to have taken down a Hurlford attacker and Caddis stepped up to convert the penalty kick.
A marvellous pass from Harkins took out the Hurlford defence as he threaded the ball through to the onrushing Graham Muir who timed his run to perfection, drawing out the keeper before tucking it past him for a quality strike on 88 minutes.
Hurlford were pressing in stoppage time which seemed to take an age before the referee finally decided to blow the full-time whistle.
All in all, Largs can take great credit from pushing the league leaders all the way in this fascinating contest which could have gone either way, meaning that a share of the spoils was probably deserved on the balance of play.
Thistle: Farrell, Orr, McMaster, Millar, Jamieson, Faulds, Carter, Fleming, Adam, Muir, Black. Subs: Struthers, Harkins, Trialist, Knowles, Graham (GK).