PDM Buildbase West of Scotland Football

Largs Thistle 4 Cumbernauld United 1

A superb second half display from Thistle blew Cumbernauld away as Largs made history to record their first ever win in senior football.

Having gone two games without scoring, the heat was on the Barrfields men to get up and running in the West of Scotland League, and they did so in style.

Cumbernauld have traditionally been tough opponents so it made it extra satisfying as Thistle laid some ghosts to rest with this win..

And the victory gave the supporters who were watching on the live stream a much needed lift and something to cheer about as Largs recorded their first win since February 1 in these testing times.

Thistle's marquee signing Keir Milliken was absent due to work commitments as Sean McLeod slotted into the rearguard, while Graham Muir made his first start since re-signing for the club for a third time.

Largs opened playing against the wind as Cumbernauld looked to gain an early advantage in the swirling conditions, and took a surprise lead within 90 seconds.

George Sewell knocked the ball out for the corner which was then whipped into the box by Stevenston and the ball was nodded back across to Harrison who glanced a close range header into the top left corner of the net.

Stuart Davidson's side had a good opportunity to respond as Ben Black burst through on the left hand side, attacking the Brisbane Road end, and moved one on one with the keeper only to see his effort zip past the right post by inches.

Stevenston was sticking some more dangerous crosses and set pieces into the Largs area which was their main threat in the first half with Greenhorn and Thomson both going close.

Graham Muir zipped through on the right hand side and slammed a diagonal effort just wide of the left post this time -Thistle were getting closer.

And Largs had a sigh of relief as speed merchant Craig Forbes bulleted Scott Adam's drilled cross home at the left post on 44 minutes to give Largs the breakthrough - their first goal in near in 224 minutes of action!

The half-time break in the chill wind was only five minutes which no doubt helped Thistle keep their momentum and they began in an attacking style at the start of the second half with an early corner. Black's corner was cut out but Faulds launched a high ball into the box for Kyle Chrystal to send a powerful header off the left post.

Thistle kept their foot on the gas and on 52 minutes Scott Adam collected the ball on the right and turned wonderfully well to rifle an effort into the bottom left corner from 20 yards.

Thistle engineered more chances as Cumbernauld were clinging on and on 59 minutes added another.

Faulds planted a free kick on to the head of the rising Corey who directed the ball into the top left hand corner of the net as he leapt highest to put Largs in command.

And Largs rounded off the scoring in style on 66 minutes as Sean McLeod, one of the exciting prospects from the Thistle community squad, was racing down the right and looked up and opened his body to stroke the ball into the bottom left corner for a cracking strike which gave the keeper no chance.

Another Faulds cross was met by Adams rushing in and he headed over.

Largs had further opportunities to extend their lead as sub Rutherford was clean through on the right and tried to lift the ball over the keeper but his chip was palmed out for a corner but the Cumbernauld keeper who was quick to react.

Then Jack Loudon was unlucky as his effort was cleared off the line as Largs kept the pressure up but it wasn't entirely one way traffic as Cumbernauld did not lie down and still tried to counter attack with McGowan having to make a great save to deny the visitors.

The full-time whistle was greeted with a big cheer from the Largs camp - and rightly so after a resounding and confident win which had Barrfields buzzing as committee and players and backroom staff were all delighted.

Given Largs had to come back from a goal down, they maintained their focus and raced away with it with a superb second half showing.

This was a spirited performance from Largs who carved out some terrific goals and indeed it could have been more.

It was a timely win too with this weekend's big South of Scotland encounter with Dalbeattie Star.

LARGS: McGowan, McLeod, Sewell, Hughes, Chrystal, Faulds, Forbes, McBryde, Adam, Muir, Black. Subs: McIntyre, Rutherford, Loudon, Farrell.