Largs Thistle 2 Dalbeattie Star 1

This was a battling victory for ten man Largs as they had to hold off a late onslaught from Dalbeattie Star to progress.
Largs overcame a testing challenge to make progress in their first senior tournament - the Soccer Shop South of Scotland Cup - thanks to goals either side of half-time from Corey Hughes and Craig Forbes.
Dalbeattie, who feature in the South of Scotland League, one tier above Largs, pulled a goal back with eight minutes left to ensure a nervy finale for Thistle who were reduced to ten men due to the dismissal of defender Kyle Chrystal.
Due to Covid19 rules, the visitors, who had no access to changing rooms or showers on a 170 mile round trip, were surprisingly comfortable in the opening stages of this cup tie.
Barrfields was bathed in autumn sunshine as it was the away side who had an early succession of corners but carved out only really half chances.
Ex-Glens defender McChesney glanced his header wide after a swerving cross from the right.
The first moment of real action from Largs came after ten minutes as Ben Black attempted to feint through a pack of defenders but was stifled. Black regularly harried the Dalbeattie backline but found himself offside from time to time.
Simon McBryde in the Largs midfield had a couple of looks at goal, blazing one effort well over, but rifling another just past the left post on 21 minutes.
Largs won their first corner which reached Chrystal at the back post but he couldn't direct his header on target.
And it was the visitors who had the first major opening as Brotherson's whipped in cross from the right hand side was met by Steele who clipped his effort wide of the left post.
As the first half was nearing its conclusion, there were signs that Largs were getting a grip of proceedings with Craig Forbes ambitious header easily saved by the Dalbeattie keeper.
Largs won a throw out on the left hand side on 41 minutes which resulted in a long throw from George Sewell which caused uncertainly in the Dalbeattie box as skipper Scott Adam was quickest to react and flicked the ball into the danger area for Corey Hughes to pounce from five yards into the bottom right corner of the net.
There was so much immense relief for Largs in gaining the breakthrough that they nearly went and scored again just moments later as George Sewell's powerful header was too central for the keeper who made a confident catch.
After the break, Chrystal made a fantastic last man challenge to deny Dalbeattie a break through and it was to prove pivotal as Largs raced up the park to double their lead, as midfielder Craig Forbes was released and with his turn of pace he was able to hoodwink the outrushing keeper before rolling the ball into an empty net on 57 minutes.
There were protests from Dalbeattie after the linesman had raised his flag but the referee Ross Hardie waved play on and advantage was played as the forward ball actually came from one of the Dalbeattie players.
Thistle manager Stuart Davidson brought on the substitutes with Blair McIntyre and Keir Milliken entering the field of play to replace Adam and McBryde.
Dalbeattie were pressing and refusing to buckle despite the two goal deficit with McChesney going particularly close with a long range effort which just skidded past the post.
Jack Haggerty and Laurie McMaster came off the bench to replace Forbes and Sean McLeod.
A free kick out on the left hand side for Dalbeattie was floated into the Largs box and Potts guided his effort into the back of the net on 82 minutes to set up the nail-biting finale.
Thistle's chances were hampered by Chrystal's red card for an off the ball incident, and Largs keeper Danny Farrell had to come to the rescue with a timely block as Ross Irving burst through one-on-one. Scott Faulds also made a crucial challenge to prevent a dangerous Dalbeattie breakaway.
Despite their numerical disadvantage, Thistle kept battling away as Dalbeattie tried to impose themselves, and despite four minutes and 15 seconds of stoppage time, which seemed a tad excessive, the final whistle blew to signal Thistle's progression.
This was far from a straight forward encounter by many respects, and with the possibility of extra time looming if Dalbeattie had found a late leveller, Largs managed to get over the finishing line.
The next round of the tournament is not until February.
Thistle were in charge of this encounter after their two goal salvo but frustratingly let Dalbeattie back into this cup tie and it was far from pretty at time but Largs held out to pull off a cup shock.
Largs will be looking to carry on their recent good momentum as they face old rivals Kilwinning Rangers tomorrow.
LARGS: Farrell, McLeod, Sewell, Hughes, Chrystal, Faulds, Forbes, McBryde, Adam, Muir, Black. Subs: McIntyre, Rutherford, Loudon, Milliken, McMaster, Haggerty, Grayston (GK)