Auchinleck Talbot 1 Largs Thistle 0

Largs Thistle boss Stuart Davidson has praised his side for a top showing versus giants Auchinleck Talbot as the club's 10 game unbeaten run came to an end.

A well taken strike from Micky Wardrope one minute into stoppage time in the first half proved to be the slender difference between the sides under the lights at Beechwood Park.

Davidson said: "It was a top showing but we didn't get the result. I was pleased with the performance and the players gave everything from first minute to last, I couldn't ask for much more other than a goal.

"Talbot is a very tough place to go but we really played well and showed great character and bravery."

Largs and Millport Weekly News:

"Scott Adam hit the crossbar and did really well after getting across a defender and made a great connection. If it had just been in inch or two lower it would have been in the back of the net but that summed up our night.

"Will Sewell had a good volley and there were some good balls into the box and their keeper made a couple of good saves with David Ramsay also going close on a few occasions."

The winning goal on 46 minutes from Wardrope was a great strike off the post giving Joe Wilton in the Largs goal no chance.

Davidson said: "It was a great strike. It was unlucky from midfielder Stuart Faulds perspective as he had an unfortunate slip and Wardrope took advantage to score. But to be fair to the boys,

"I asked them for a reaction and I got that. We also defended really well with Auchinleck attacking towards the shed end of the ground in the second half, which they always like, and we restricted them.

Largs and Millport Weekly News: David Ramsay proved a handful for TalbotDavid Ramsay proved a handful for Talbot (Image: Largs Thistle FC)

"Joe Wilton also had a few good saves and both Largs and Auchinleck had efforts cleared off the line.

"The result was not what we wanted but the performance was very good and we want to continue progressing and will just have to start another unbeaten run."

Davidson confirmed that ace defender Cory Hughes was replaced at half-time due to a thigh strain, with midfielder Simon McBryde coming on.

"It was disappointing not to get any league points, I think we only have two league games now until  Christmas so it is important to pick up results.


"It is so tight in the league and a few wins can move you high up the table or you can get dragged into the middle.

"I don't need to further motivate the boys as I saw the disappointment on their faces at full-time against Talbot, and it was not our day, but we will keep going and pushing.

"There were plenty of positives and we need to take these into Saturday's game."