Largs Thistle 5, Cumnock 0


TWO goals in the opening nine minutes set Largs on the way to a stellar victory against Cumnock at Barrfields on Saturday.

Despite having to play with 10 men for an hour of the game, Thistle had far too much in the tank for their visitors as Stuart Davidson's men bounced back in style from the disappointment of defeat at home to Beith.

The two sides had fought out a draw at Townhead Park in their last meeting in March, but Largs showed no intention of settling for a share of the spoils as they burst out of the traps in style to put this game to bed.

Largs and Millport Weekly News:

Sharp shooter Will Sewell set Largs on their way with an early header, before Darryl Duffy made it two with a quick breakaway and tidy finish.

Largs keeper Joe Wilton made a top stop to deny the visitors following a dangerous header from a free kick on 24 minutes.

Largs and Millport Weekly News:

The shotstopper then denied Jamieson moments later as Cumnock looked to find a way back into the game.

And Thistle went three up on 28 minutes as Blair Devine fired home from a Sewell assist.

Largs and Millport Weekly News:

But within two minutes of Devine's strike a major seed of doubt was thrown into the mix when Cory Hughes was ordered off for a last-man challenge, leaving Thistle facing the prospect of playing the final hour of the match a man short.

For the rest of the first half it was a case of Largs seeing out time to the interval without allowing Cumnock a way back into the match. 

But after regrouping at the break, and with defender John Cummings sent on at the interval to replace Devine, the Largs players went out for the second half determined not to sit on their lead.
Largs and Millport Weekly News:

Sewell was denied by the woodwork on 55 minutes, but he didn't have too much longer to wait to add to his tally, with a quick turn and finish past Nock keeper Jamie Barclay earning him his second, and Thistle's fourth, just two minutes later.

And four minutes later it was high five for Largs as midfielder David McGrath added a fifth to put the outcome of the match beyond any doubt.

David Ramsay replaced goalscorer Duffy on 64 minutes, and Sean McLeod's deflected cross found no takers in the middle as Largs kept pushing forward.

Largs and Millport Weekly News:

Davidson made a triple substitution for the closing stages, with Jamie Martin, Cole Ojungo and the returning John Tennent introduced for McLeod, Davidson and Sewell, to loud applause from the home support.

Livewire Martin nearly made it six after a weaving run and shot on 85 minutes, but while there was no further scoring Largs could still be well pleased with an excellent afternoon's work in their penultimate home match of the season.

Thistle's final game at Barrfields of the current campaign sees them play host to Auchinleck Talbot on Wednesday, May 8.

Largs and Millport Weekly News: On the ball: Stuart FauldsOn the ball: Stuart Faulds (Image: Largs Thistle F.C)

Talbot's late bid to challenge for the Premier Division title faltered after dropped points against Arthurlie and Hurlford opened the door for Beith to seal the championship on Saturday, though Tommy Sloan's side showed they've no plan to see out the campaign with a whimper after a 6-3 win over Pollok at Beechwood on Saturday.

Largs, though, still have their sights set on a strong finish to the campaign which could yet see them finish as high as third in the table following a terrific second half of the campaign and a run of six wins in their last seven matches.

Largs and Millport Weekly News:

Thistle's final match of the season is against Rob Roy at Guy's Meadow this Saturday, May 11.

Largs: Wilton, McLeod, McMaster, McCreath, Hughes, Faulds, Devine, Davidson, Sewell, McGrath, Duffy. Subs: Adam, Ramsay, Martin, Ojungu, Cumming, Tennent, Johnston (GK).