After the successful launch of the Village Hall’s 125th Anniversary year in January, Fairlie Community Association are now planning a week-long series of events to mark the opening date itself, which was November 16 1892.
The week will start on Sunday November 12, Remembrance Sunday, with the Fairlie’s Men Of The Great War exhibition. Although it won’t include the full exhibition, the main boards plus some other items will be on display (the full exhibition will be mounted again in 2018 to commemorate the end of WW1).
For younger members of the community, there’ll be a visit from “The McDougalls” on Thursday November 16. Full details of these events, and other events during the week, will be available nearer the time.
Fairlie Village Hall was gifted to the people of Fairlie by the Rt. Hon. Charles Stuart Parker in memory of his sister Margaret. Pictures of both have recently been retrieved from the loft, cleaned up and re-hung in the Main Hall – have a look next time you’re in the Village Hall.
Converted from the original parish schoolroom, it was presented to the people of Fairlie by the Rt. Hon. Charles Stuart Parker in memory of his late sister, Margaret, who had died the previous year. On Parker’s death in 1910, the Village Hall was left to be held by Trustees "in all time coming for the use, occupation and benefit of the inhabitants of Fairlie".
In 1974, the Trustees leased the hall to North Ayrshire Council to be used as a community centre. Today, the management of the Village Hall is the responsibility of Fairlie Community Association, and the day-to-day business is carried out by a committee of volunteers. The committee is currently planning a series of events to commemorate the anniversary – look out for details in the coming months.