Vandals tear down signs at Garrison

Published: 19 Apr 2012 09:3015 comments

Warning signs that dogs should be kept on their leads within the Garrison grounds have been ripped down by vandals.

The new signs only just went up over the weekend, but Cumbrae Community Development Group (CCDC), who put up the signs, were shocked to see that they had been taken down by Monday morning.

Bob Campell, a director of CCDC, said: "We have had a lot of problems with dog dirt within the Garrison, and only on Sunday we put the signs up, and found on Monday morning that they had beek taken down. We are reporting this act of vandalism to the police."

Comments

• dog_owner_millport
    Apr 20, 22:19

In my opinion the CCDC would have been better off putting up dog bins at strategic points in the Garrison grounds. The committee should consider the carrot option rather than the stick.

So CCDC the poo's on you

• MillportResident
    Apr 21, 00:23

Instead of tarring every dog owner with the same brush they should be going after the people who don't pick up after their dogs. Many of whom are tourists and locals (usually ones who think having a small dog exempts them from picking up dog dirt). Millport has a reputation as a dog friendly island (it's one of the few things it still has going for it), but moves like this will end that. I also fail to see how making people keep their dogs on a lead will make them pick up dog dirt. Some people just don't care.

With this move, the decision to make the Garrison grounds a one way system (which will make the place a no go zone for children who will be in danger of getting run down by drivers who simply should't be on the road) and the way people who bring new businesses to the island are being treated, Millport is in danger of losing its well earned family and dog friendly tag.

• FU CCDC
    Apr 21, 00:36

Probably the same *vandals* who panned in the windows in the buildings at the back fo the Garrison but everyone is very quiet about that.

I am a resident oof Millport who pays a fortune in council tax and get very little in return.

I am also a responsible dog owner of a well behaved and trained dog and I always clean up after my dog.

I will not be dictated to where and when I can walk my dog or be told to keep my dog on the lead in any part of public ground in this island.

This is not 1930's Germany and I refuse to abide by these undemocratic rules.

• MillportDogOwner
    Apr 21, 00:37

So, dog owners like myself who always pick up after their dogs (I have two) will now be punished because of the minority who allow their dogs to foul the Garrison and other areas of Millport? I hardy see how that is fair.

What next, banning dogs from the beach? Oh, I shouldn't say that because that will be the next step.

To be honest, maybe if the police actually did their job and patrolled areas like the Garrison they'd catch the don't pick up brigade in the act.

• LegalExpert
    Apr 21, 01:04

I would be very interested to see where the basis under Scottish law is for this draconian ban. Dogs need to be under control in public places. However this does not mean dogs need to be on the lead as the law does not say exactly what "under control entails."

The Garrison is considered a public place because it has a GP surgery, library and cafe that must be accessed by going through the Garrison grounds. If the CCDC want to treat the Garrison as private grounds then the public buildings should be moved elsewhere.

Perhaps the CCDC should refer to legislation involving dogs before acting like they are the law.

• Friendofmillport
    Apr 23, 11:48

As Garrison Grounds are private property I understood that the operators of Garrison House are perfectly within their rights to ask people who walk their dogs through the grounds to abide by their rules. If people are going to act like kids I say treat them like kids.

• Frank Hall
    Apr 24, 00:46

"I will walk my dog off the lead in the Garrison when I want and I look forward and urge to someone confront me on this issue to see what will happen to them."

The words 'or what?' spring to mind.

Yet another keyboard warrior hiding behind anonymity.

• Adult Dog Owner
    Apr 24, 16:40

I blame children with dogs. Mummy & Daddy get the child a dog for their birthday/Christmas or whatever and they love it and play with it and take it for walks, but have you ever seen a child pick up? They are more likely to scream yeuch! than reach for the poo bags. Dogs need to be cared for in public by responsible adults. Not children.

• Jennifer Thomson
    Apr 24, 21:53

I live on Millport, have a rescue dog that I always pick up after and have under control. I am also constantly considerate of other people in the vicinity when I walk my dog, including cyclists on the island who speed up and down the pavement and through the Garrison (you don’t mind when it’s children, but too often it’s adults) and motorists who also seem ignorant of the fact that they are in heavily populated areas and who zip up and down the road like they are in Glasgow.

I am also the author of Caring for Your Dog: The Essential Guide and know the laws concerning dogs pretty well. The part that is most pertinent to dog owners in this case is the bit which states that ‘It is an offence to allow a dog to be out of control in a public or in a private place where it is not meant to be.’

However the law doesn’t state that your dog has to be on the lead unless that dog has a previous record of biting someone or being out of control. In which case, the dog would have what is dubbed a doggy Asbo. This usually means they have to be muzzled and kept on the lead, by law.

I find it sad that just because they are a few people who don’t pick up after their dogs that considerate dog owners like me are being treated like our dog is the one making the mess. It would be far more helpful if there were dog bins available throughout the Garrison and there was also a sign put up at the ferry terminal telling people with dogs that they face fines if they don’t pick up dog dirt. Irresponsible dog owners deserve to be fined if they don’t pick up after their dogs. Dog faeces can be dangerous to children and it’s also very nasty for the rest of us who may accidentally step on it.

An active police presence would also help ease the problem, although I am aware that the police do have a lot of work to do, especially with vandalism like the smashed windows at the old physiotherapy unit and the derelict church in Glasgow Street that is constantly being broken into – a computer monitor was thrown out one of the windows one night and landed on my lawn. It could have killed someone.

• whatanidiot
    Apr 29, 16:37

The Garrison grounds are indeed private property. The LegalExpert wants the public offices moved elsewhere. Good idea then the Garrison would lose all income and would go back to being boarded up and derelict as there would be no money for its upkeep. Thank God we've got a keen mind like this in Millport.

Those who state (behind aliases) that they will defy the ban obviously have no care for anyone else - especially children who can get a horrible disease from dog excrement. What a truly mature attitude.

Also, may I remind everyone - if you don't like the way the Garrison is run, get off your bottoms and come to the ~AGM and do the job (unpaid and voluntary) yourselves.

Really easy to criticise - actually doing something takes more effort!

• whatanidiot
    Apr 29, 16:41

p.s. just a small reminder that the Garrison grounds are covered by CCTV cameras.

• dog_owner_millport
    Apr 30, 14:42

Yes whatanidiot you are proven by your own tongue

"Those who state (behind aliases) "

You're very quick on the attack from behind your alias.

• whatanidiot
    Apr 30, 17:18

dog-owner - sorry but if you are a responsible dog owner you will already be picking up all excrement and keeping your pet under control. Unfortunately, not everyone does and, as in all things, I'm afraid the innocent suffer with the guilty.

• whatanidiot
    May 2, 13:36

It is an offence for anyone responsible for a dog, not to remove and appropriately dispose of any faeces after the animal has fouled. This includes pavements, footpaths, roads, parks, recreational pitches, cycle ways, communal land, back greens, stair closes and any open land that the public has access to.

Any fouling should be picked up and disposed in the nearest litter bin or placed in your domestic waste at home.

NAC bye-laws - see NAC site.

• Acommuter
    May 4, 16:59

Whatanidiot, you’re quite right about people ‘hiding behind aliases.’ I's good to see you have used your real name.