It was certainly a lot closer than the scoreline suggested as relegation threatened Largs scrapped for everything in a dramatic Premier encounter at Glenafton.
Largs struck the crossbar twice, while Glenafton were also awarded a soft penalty, and despite Thistle’s best efforts, they didn’t get any rub of the green at Loch Park against the title challengers. 
James Marks had the first real opening for Largs on five minutes but hit the side-netting, while Largs keeper Ross Lundy made a good save at the other end in a lively start.
Orsi nearly opened the scoring for Glens on 17 minutes after McAusland’s dangerous cross into the box, but Thistle’s Nicky Jamieson came to the rescue with a vital clearance.
The Glens pressure paid off when they were awarded a penalty kick after Laurie McMaster was adjudged to have fouled Orsi in the box after a feinting run into the box on 31 minutes. There looked minimal contact, and it was a turning point as McGill lashed the ball home.
Glenafton moved two goals up on 35 minutes as good overlapping play down the right resulted in McGill supplying Marlow to fire past Lundy in the Largs goal from eight yards. 
On 44 minutes, Iain Fisher’s extended throw from the right bounced onwards to James Marks who clattered a half volley off the underside of the crossbar.
Thistle started the second half in good fettle with both Creag Little and Robert Love testing keeper McGarrity.
Former Morton man John Tennent rattled the crossbar for Largs with a bending free kick from out of the left wing on the hour mark, while Carter just had Lundy to beat but inexplicably put his shot wide
Thistle forward Kevin Struthers was given his marching orders after a second caution for intercepting the keeper’s kick-out.
And Glenafton moved three goals ahead on 65 minutes as McGill headed home at the left post.
Largs pulled a goal back on 74 minutes after they were awarded a penalty for a push in the box, with Tennent converting.
Within minutes of each other, both Iain Fisher and sub Matthew Ashe were scythed down during Thistle attacks, as yellow cards were mounting for both sides.
Glens killed off any chance of a Largs fightback as sub Dallas made a darting run down the left on 88 minutes and fired in a low cross to the near post which was tucked home by Carter from a few yards out. 
It was the ultimate kick in the teeth after a hard-working but ultimately fruitless display from Thistle.